Web Scavenger Hunt
Subject Matter: Science
Grade Level: 4th
Learners will demonstrate knowledge, understanding and have the ability to identify what animals are carnivores, omnivores, and herbivores.
Subject Matter Content Standard: Students know producers and consumers (herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, and decomposers) are related in food chains and food webs and may compete with each other for resources in an ecosystem.
Website Addresses Used as Resources: (2-3)
5. (Game for fun!) http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/content/animals/kidscorner/games/animaldietgame.htm
Essential Question: What does it take to be a carnivore, omnivore and herbivore?
[Hint: questions 2-5 are found on http://www.saburchill.com/chapters/chap0006.html]
2. What do herbivores eat?
3. What do omnivores eat?
4. What do carnivores eat?
5. What is the name of the smallest carnivorous mammal and what continent does it live in?
[Hint: questions 6-9 are found on http://www.powered-by-produce.com/2010/06/09/carnivore-omnivore-or-herbivore/]
6. Have humans always eaten meat?
7. What do carnivores teeth look like?
8. What jaw motion do carnivores have? Up and down or side to side?
9. Who sleeps the least carnivores, omnivores or herbivores?
[Hint: questions 10-11 are found on://www.predatorconservation.com/kids.htm]
10. What animal has the strongest jaws of any carnivore?
11. What is a predator?
[Hint: questions 12-13 are found on: http://keep3.sjfc.edu/students/naa07113/e-port/decomposers.html]
12. What do decomposers eat?
13. In what ecosystems do decomposers exist?
[Question 14 could be found in various websites]
14. List 4 animals that correspond to each group (carnivore, omnivore and herbivore)
Students will enjoy and highly be engage doing these types of activities because they will be utilizing the computer and navigating the internet. At the same time they could be improving their computer skills and learn how the internet could wisely be used. To assess them based on their production and quality of work, it will be an in class assignment. I will provide them my support with any technical issue, but they will need to get the material off the websites on their own.